Here's the complete text of the entry you were just reading. To return to the whole blog, click thebutton at left.
After slogging through a few plugins and much hand-waving over the reference books, I've got Blosxom tuned up to where I like it. I've replaced the sort routine with code to sort by filename (not mod date). The "seemore" plugin is being used to break up long entries and link to their permanent address for complete viewing. Not sure how seemore is supposed to work, but I modified it to use a distinct template flavour ("loner") for these links; works fine. Permanent links are provided in the entry title H1 heads.
And that's about it for Perling right now...gotta deal with WinXP in the shop this week, and I'm already weak ;-) Once I find a good syntax ref/cookbook, learning Perl might even be a bit of fun... despite all the irregular verbs.
(Actually, I'm so ashamed for the way I'm butchering the Blosxom scripts, I'll p'bly go overboard on Perl, obsessing until the day I can write a functional plugin ;-) But for now, the css is good, the js is good, the content is good. Just gotta keep tellin' myself, "It's good [enough]; its good [enough]; it's ...."
Blosxom is still hacked, but minimally. This stuff from the original hack still exists:
- comment out this line:
$curdate ne $date and $curdate = $date and $output .= $date;
- add a variable and formatting to the "story" template for supplying an arbitrary date; I added:
- change this line:
use vars qw/ $title $body $raw /;
use vars qw/ $dato $title $body $raw /;
- preceed this line:
chomp($title = <$fh>);
chomp($dato = <$fh>);
Now, just add a line to the top of each entry to be used by the $dato variable. Here's an example entry file, named "030720.txt":
July 20, 2003 This is the Title This is the body of the entry. The first line in this file (July 20, 2003) is an arbitrary string that blosxom will chomp into the var $dato; by putting
<h3>$dato</h3>in my story template, I can put a "date" atop each entry.
The plugin handles sorting entries by name or mtime, up or down. Sorts are selected via a query string in the calling url. The plugin also produces a string that indicates which sort is shown, and a link to the "other" sort.
Works great; no timestamping, a dependable listing order, no "indexes" to maintain.